Wednesday, May 23, 2018

Relish the Moment!

Relish the Moment!
By Allen Merritt © 2018

Sometimes it is fun to consider new ideas and think about oddball things. This even happens in the occasional interview. A potential employer decides to ask the candidate something like, “If you were an animal, what kind of animal would you be and why?” I have personally experienced this question in an interview. Talk about being thrown a curve ball. What are you going to say that makes sense to the job opportunity or position?

While pondering this, I recall one of my favorite fun things to consider is what type of condiment your personality best represents. My answer for that one is mustard, because it’s bright, sunny and tangy. I don’t think there are any wrong answers. It is relative to you, how you feel and what you think, not necessary what others think.

Which leads me to today’s topic. Relish!  I want to discuss relish. Not the relish you would put on your hot-dog, but the relish you experience when you truly enjoy something. You know, as in relishing the moment.

Recently, I had an experience which reminded me to be present, sit in the moment and simply enjoy it.

In fact, I got a chance to observe a camera test in action, which I’ve never had the privilege of before. Most projects I get called in for are done so at the last minute and they throw you out there and ask you to “just do it,” whatever “it” is!

Anyway, while standing there waiting patiently for my turn to meet with the project director I found myself recalling an interview from the 2018 winter Olympics where an athlete told a reporter how they knew they were good at their sport, but were not focused on necessarily winning an individual medal, because just getting to the Olympics was a win in and of itself. All they wanted was to compete cleanly with their head held high and to take in every second, enjoy it and relish it for all its worth. This person did not want to miss anything and wanted to be a part of it for as long as it lasted, because it only happens every so often and this may be their only shot at it. Now, that’s what I call relish!

I remembered this as I stood there watching the hustle and bustle I was lucky enough to be witnessing. I was excited to be there and participate in some small way.

Afterwards, I was advised I would be needed for the job, which would be slightly featured. Then I was scheduled for the next appointment and first shoot date. I walked away smiling inside. This was a simple moment and one to take in, relish and enjoy.

Blessings recognized and appreciated are a powerful demonstration of positivity in motion. I believe this helps initiate more positive moments for which we all need.

I also think one positive step leads to another.

In fact, throughout the beginning of this little job I was in the middle of trying my hand at another possible creative opportunity and applied the same principle of relishing the moment. I simply held onto to the idea I was going to have a good time, do what I do with gusto and see what happens. In the end, I was selected for the project. So the lesson learned was to recognize how wonderful and interesting life is and can be, sit in that moment, relish it, take it in and enjoy every juicy little tidbit to its fullest realization. If not, it’ll just pass you by.

There is no doubt, life is interesting. Take advantage of it. As one thing leads to another, appreciate the blessings. Milk them for all they are worth.

And the next time you find yourself choosing from an array of condiments and you see the relish, remember to take it literally.

Enjoy another week living on a positive note.


Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment