Sunday, May 27, 2018

A Tunnel of Light!

A Tunnel of Light!
By Allen Merritt ©2018

The past couples of weeks have been a handful, let me tell you!

It’s a time for which I made every effort to keep my wits about me, not get frustrated, go with the flow, work hard at maintaining some good sense of character and integrity while attempting to remember and accomplish everything I need to do within the confines of the job.

It’s a practice in living positively and simultaneously recognizing the human element within. Importantly, I am aware of my imperfections, but I attempt not to let them get the best of me or allow myself to beat myself (or anybody else) up too much.

You see, when you are rehearsing, it is never perfect right up to the end. That is how it is with artistry and creativity. It never feels a hundred percent there because you are aiming to make it better and better even when things are changing minute by minute.

Sometimes you laugh at yourself and the circumstances. Other times you roll your eyes and fret a minute. Then you get over and move on, because you have to. The show must go on, as they say.

At some point though, there is a light at the end of the tunnel. The light begins to glimmer and glow as you get down to the wire and start filtering in an audience and the performance must take over and proceed. There comes a time when we have no choice but to allow it to happen. A point of no return, good, bad or ugly.

Embrace it!

Such is life.

I share this as an example of positivity in motion. It’s hard work.

There are rewards and perks along the way. Recognize them and make them a memory.

Examples include relationships with people. Flub ups that allow us to release some part of ourselves and give permission to laugh. Then there is finding opportunities to have conversations which allow us to find common ground. Kind words and compliments which make us smile and reflect on what we are doing and how others may perceive us no matter how we see ourselves. Oh, and discovering how well we are listening and/or paying attention to what is being said and going on around us.

At one point this week I realized I had what I referred to as a “sucky” performance night during final rehearsals. One person advised me I was doing a great job and to stay positive. I appreciated that and followed it up with a comment about finding solutions to the stumbling blocks I was experiencing.

You see, sometimes others actually do see the good in us. Also, we are not alone in the game. 

The biggest reminder as we journey moment to moment is to simply bring your “A” game and do your best. If anything, we gave it a good go! In that, there is accomplishment in and of itself and hopefully, some humor to reflect back on later down the road. After all, we should remember we are creating memories every day. Might as well make the most of them and feel good about everything.

The best part of this story is from last night’s final work through of the project. It was around midnight when we called it a night. There on the dark stage I approached the director with a question to clarify a costuming issue. He made a point to reach out and shake my hand and tell me how much he appreciated me, respected my calmness in the heat of all the storms we have walked through over the last nine weeks, recognizing I had every right to get heated from time to time (but didn’t) and how grateful he was of how much professionalism I brought to the table. He wanted me to know it was a pleasure working with me throughout the process.

You see, there is a light at the end of every tunnel.

You are never in it alone. The experiences are shared.

So if you are doing your best and not over-reacting to situations, flying off the handle and forgetting yourself in the process; if you are always searching for the good, seeing it and offering it, then positive outcomes do reveal themselves accordingly.

Hang in there!

Be positive.

Have a great week living out your day one positive note at a time.

Cheers!


No comments:

Post a Comment