Wednesday, April 11, 2018

Struck With Laughter!

Struck With Laughter!
By Allen Merritt ©2018

Have you ever had an idea pop into your mind which made you laugh out loud? It happens to me all the time. I can’t help it. Suddenly I burst out laughing in the car driving down the road. I chuckle walking around. I guffaw incessantly in front of people for no apparent reason. Humor just comes to me when I least expect it. I guess one could say I crack myself up! That or I have a warped sense of humor.

This morning I quite literally woke up with two creative ideas. Both were the first things conjured up in my consciousness. One was an idea to brainstorm for a kids story and the other was a joke for a character I was working on. Now, while I did not exactly wake up laughing, I did wake up with humor and that’s an incredible way to wake up, don’t you think?

Many things happen to us throughout our day. Whether it is good, bad or ugly, humor lifts us up despite everything. So in my head I am thinking I should go ahead and laugh at, with or for whatever “it” is. Why? Because I think life is much better when you are laughing. (Maybe I should change the words to Taylor Swift’s song Shake it Off to Laugh it Off!)

I remember on several occasions coming up with a joke and laughing so hard I became red in the face, crying, gasping for air and doubling over as if I was experiencing stomach cramps. (Laughing is a great abdominal workout.) I’m certain the people around me must have thought I was a bit touched in the head or were wondering what was going on. What was I laughing at? What’s so funny? Was I okay?

This very situation happened a couple of days ago while at dinner with a friend. I wrote down an idea (I try to carry pen and pad everywhere) and it struck me funny. I began laughing out loud right then and there in the middle of the restaurant.

Now, it occurs to me how a person has to take advantage of these occasions to laugh whether quietly or uproariously. Let it all out. Release whatever it is they’re holding on to and relax. And, when the joke lasts for a long time, it is a blessing not a hindrance.

As I write this I am reminded of an incident which had me laughing for over a week. It was so funny to me I wrote another blog about it and shared the story. People responded to me saying they laughed so hard they almost wet their pants.

My thought is this, just let the jokes come. Let them keep coming. Don't stand in their way. Let the funny prevail. Allow humor to take precedent and don't make any fuss of it. Embrace the humor. Accept the laughter. Be one with it. Make it your own. Go ahead. Turn your day into a laugh factory. Become a laughing machine. Use it to make a better day. HA!

All in all, if something strikes you funny, my suggestion is not to hesitate, but laugh. It’s okay. Maybe someone else can benefit from your laughter. Let folks in on the joke. It’s not as if some trade secret will be violated. Humor is for sharing, not to be kept to oneself.

On that note, if you would like to go back and have a good laugh at my previous blog, here it is. Enjoy and feel free to pass it on.


Hope this week provides much in the way of humor!

Moreover, may it be chalk full of positive possibilities.


Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment