Sunday, February 25, 2018

On the Other Side of Down!

On the Other Side of Down!
By Allen Merritt © 2018

I’m running on the treadmill. My earphones are connected to my phone and I am listening to music. As I am moving along I realize the song playing represents a spirit of positivity. It is about being uplifted, which is especially great as a motivational tool when working out, but also helpful throughout the day.

The song conjures up thoughts of feeling lively, happy and good. The lyrics speak to the idea of the “other side of down.” It got me to thinking on how many times I have heard this song, but wasn’t listening. The other side of down refers to its exact opposite, which is obviously “up.”

Suddenly I was feeling conscious of the idea. What a great way to reference altering perspective and perception toward positive living! It’s a clever way of sending out a message.

What does it mean to pursue feeling “up?”

Years ago, I clearly remember looking up into a beautiful clear blue sky following the events of 9-11. It was a profound moment for me, because in the aftermath of the event the skies were very silent and the thought ran through my mind, “There are still beautiful things out there in the world.” This came to me while looking up. It was my way of seeing the other side of down.

It may not feel all too good right now, but if we look to the other side of down we will see the light that guides us to the end of the tunnel.

I believe there is a Japanese Proverb that reads, “Fall down seven times, get up eight.” Then there is the idea of a Phoenix Rising, which brings about countless images of the same thing. I am sure there are many answers to the question of how we help ourselves keep on keeping on during those moments of turmoil. And those answers will differ depending on whom you ask, where you look and from where you stand.

As I recall, it wasn’t that long ago I listened to a different artist play a song online and at the end of the session they spoke out the sentiment, “Things will get better. Chin up!” When things are seemingly at their worst we can use that phrase as a focal point while managing our experiences and feelings. Another way of stating it is to keep your head held high despite it all. I think this takes a lot of integrity to accomplish.

While I ponder how to find the positive angles of every situation and highlight them as proponents for building a better future right here and right now, it is evident the only way to successfully do so is to look up and to boost spirits as opposed to tearing them down, which appears as the current modus operandi and mindset circulating society.

People want to rip everyone else apart even when they say something good. In fact, this very issue came up in a phone conversation I had this morning. I could say, “I love chocolate!” and post that on social media and a ton of people would criticize me for saying that. It’s completely off the charts how many people are more focused on the “other side of UP” (i.e. tearing down) than they are at looking on the sunny and bright side of life. It’s amazing how prevalent this is in American society. Unity no longer presides over anything. No one is coming together for the betterment of the whole.

In realizing this and witnessing the results, I simply must stand up for looking at life through positive lenses. Head up. Chin up. Look up.

Anyway, while I continued my run on the treadmill I heard another song apparently meant to confirm my thoughts. Its lyrics were asking me if I was “down for it.”

Am I down for it? Heck, yeah!

I am definitively down for getting up!

Are you down for this? Are you down with getting up?

Are you interested in pursuing the other side of down?

Then get up, look up, get out there and find the positive. Find the sweet spot and then share it with the rest of the world, because the world needs it. Of that, there is no question.

Besides, if you don’t look up, you may not see where it is you are going.

Thanks for spreading a little extra positivity today.


Cheers~!

No comments:

Post a Comment