Sunday, March 4, 2018

Hanging By a Thread!

Hanging By a Thread!
By Allen Merritt © 2018

I had a great time last week when I participated in an assignment at the university I work at part-time. I had to do a little homework to understand what I was getting myself into prior to going as it had to do with vestibular exercises. My job was to be a candidate/patient being assessed and then treated utilizing vestibular exercises to improve my diagnosis toward dizziness, vertigo and problems in balance and judgment or even in ability to get up off the floor (i.e "I've fallen and I can't get up!"). It’s part of a physical therapists training.

I didn’t realize there were such exercises. I was surprised to discover how challenging it can be when you are attempting to focus on being able to accomplish doing the exercises even when you are not a prime candidate for them.

My take away(s) from the experience, highlights a positive outlook in the everyday world.

For example, one of the exercises asked me to stand, look forward and throw my arms across my chest as if I were giving myself a hug. The goal was to stand there without moving and not lose balance for a whole minute. For me, I simply found a focal point on the other side of the gymnasium and held my stance. This may seem fairly easy, but implementing the second part of the exercise becomes the challenge. The next step asks you to repeat the test while standing on a square block of foam rubber. Aha! Not as easy as the first go around.

In order to maintain a sense of balance in this situation, I discovered I had to visualize myself being pulled up by an invisible string attached to the center of my head. I needed to hold on to that imagery to avoid wobbling. I also had to tighten my glut muscles to help hold myself in place. I quite literally learned to find more balance by seeing myself hanging by a thread, so to speak. I also had to concentrate on breathing and relaxation.

Think about it. It makes sense.

In order to keep our balance, we must pull ourselves up. What a philosophy!

It is one hundred percent applicable in all areas of our lives.

I remember taking ballet classes as a kid. Teachers would remind me to pull up my core when trying to balance or do pirouettes. Such training proved more successful outcomes in achieving tasks. Without that balance I would fall out of the turn and stumble around or land on the ground.

Also, to improve our posture we simply have to pull ourselves up. Chest must come out and up, as well as the head and neck respectively. Backs must not sway inward and gluts must be tucked in and under our torso.

This same technique helps to eliminate elements of back pain when I slouch too much. What a concept.

Overall, I found these games helped me hone in on finding balance and learned to take that message a step further toward creating positive space which will aide in feeling better about anything that comes my way. In other words, you can find your balance by lifting yourself up.

Same thing applies toward positive living. Lift yourself up and you will find your balance.

In consideration of these ideas, the next time you are feeling down, sluggish, out of control and cannot attain your equilibrium, find ways to lift yourself up. Boost your spirits. Liven up your surroundings. Picture yourself hanging by a thread and feel your body being pulled by gravity. That should help you work out a few kinks and start fresh living life on a positive note. Not only that, if you suffer dizzy spells, vertigo or stumble and fall a lot, these exercises actually prove a helpful remedy.

Enjoy the week!

Cheers!


(More information about rehabilitation exercises for vestibular disorders can be found via internet search or by discussing it with your doctor.)

No comments:

Post a Comment