Wednesday, November 28, 2018

Trust Thyself!

Trust Thyself!
By Allen Merritt ©2018

I happened to look up and saw this baseball hat bobbing by. It was an ordinary hat, nothing special about it as far as baseball caps go; except for two words, which stood out like a sore thumb.

First of all, I love hats. I collect them. I wear them…a lot!

Secondly, I noticed the words, “Trust Thyself” emblazoned on this one. I hadn’t seen this one before. I found those words captivating.

Of course, it didn’t have to be a hat. It could have been anything, but the words are what really grabbed my attention. I love when that happens. In fact, just last week I stumbled upon a great vegan restaurant in Studio City, which also sold hats displaying the word “Hope.” I was as intrigued then as I am now.

I enjoy hats making such statements, because when you wear them you are doing so publicly. It’s an opportunity to share a message and offer anyone paying attention a chance to think about something of value and importance. Let’s call it a testimony of sorts. The way I see it, it stands for something you value or believe in.

Now, I have observed just as many tee shirts and hats conveying derogatory and negative statements. Needless-to-say, I notice them, too. However, those types of statements aren’t inspirational to me. They don’t motivate or drive me toward all that is good, which is what I want.

I personally have hats which read LOVE > HATE, PIMPIN JOY and OFF THE BEATEN PATH. All express a little bit about me and the messages I want to put out there. I like to think most of the time I am transmitting an image of goodness, integrity and positive character. I believe such good messages are highly needed today. I know I need them!

In any case, the words “Trust Thyself” seem a couple of good words to ponder and share with the world.

Ralph Waldo Emerson utilized these words as a metaphor for the faith each person puts on himself; a self-reliance. More specifically, he said “Trust thyself: every heart vibrates to that iron string.”

These two words masterfully bookend each other and point to a stronger message on building oneself up instead of tearing oneself down. It’s such a positive message to benefit from.

Trust itself refers to hope, honesty, safety, goodness and reliability. It points to having favor and confidence in a person, place or thing.

Thyself (you) speaks to the idea of looking inward toward yourself.

In other words you turn all elements wrapped up in the ideology of what trust is and should be and point them directly back at yourself as if looking deeply into your own eyes in the mirror.

Do you “trust” yourself?

What does it mean to find trust within oneself?

Quite possibly if we felt more in tune within ourselves and touched upon some sense of peace, joy, contentment and confidence which lies within we would be more apt to understand such trust. Naturally, this takes plenty of work and nurturing to uncover and sustain.

Not only that, it makes sense to me how if we learn or have such trust within, we are able to find more trust outside of ourselves too…with others.

Finally, trust leads to trusting. We demonstrate an unquestionable belief in those individuals proving themselves honest and sincere. Ergo, we surround ourselves with such people to strengthen our own core beliefs without compromising our own uniqueness.

In short, I guess I’d say I support the idea. It points to positivity in motion. It’s active and easily applicable.

“Trust Thyself” more fully and openly. It’s an attractive quality, isn’t it?

It’s just another idea to think about this week. Heck! Why not put it on a tee-shirt or hat and wear it around and see if anyone notices!

In my opinion, it always pays to share the good news.

Enjoy contemplating it.


Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment