Sunday, June 3, 2018

What’s in Your Care Package?

What’s in Your Care Package?
By Allen Merritt ©2018

After sleeping in, I made my usual trip to the coffee shop this morning. It was a good time to go as only a few people were sitting inside (i.e. not crowded and no lines to stand in).

This particular location is the closest one to me and lately it has been getting all the orders wrong. I am thinking it is because there has been a tremendous change in staff over the last few weeks. No matter how clearly you recite your order it does not come out correctly. I have noticed several people having this experience, some being quite vocal, not-to-mention frustrated. 

Overall, it has meant a return of an item with the request to get it right! I observed one man take his drink order back three times.

In fact, a couple of days ago I received my iced mocha and it was almost black with an abundance (or overload) of chocolate. I usually reduce it from 6 pumps mocha down to 2 pumps. I asked it to be remade. This time it came to me with no chocolate and too much espresso. I gave up, went to the grocery store, bought some chocolate almond milk and poured a little into my strong coffee to cut the bitterness to where I like it. I didn’t want to keep repeating the process only to discover that I was living out the definition of insanity.

However, this morning I tried a new technique and asked the cashier to repeat the order and confirm what I asked so they would understand I am expecting them to get it right. And, it came out correct! Yay!

As I thought further on the subject it brought me around to the idea of care and caring. If we take care of others, then they might take better care of us. If we are careful on how we approach any subject, topic and situation by operating with a sense of care, the likelihood of achieving top notch or acceptable results will be higher.

I am reminded of something called the “care package.”

If I remember correctly, the care package was a means to help provide aid to those in need. For example, putting together a food box for those experiencing hardship would be an extension of care. Clothing, backpack and blanket drives are another way of providing care.

When people operate with a sense of care, better human relations result. People’s needs are met and appreciation, respect and common ground are reached.

It is way too easy to go off the deep end, be reactionary and not consider all possibilities of a situation as to the why something is or is not happening the way one thinks it should. However, if one shows a little care and demonstrates such care gently, everyone stands a better chance of a peaceful resolution. It turns into a win-win position rather than a my-way or the by-way situation.

So the question turns to what is in your care package?

What can you offer to help better the circumstance?

Here are my thoughts.
  • Be considerate anyway.
  • Think twice before speaking.
  • Speak calmly and articulately.
  • Offer up your concern as a concern rather than a demand.
  • Pay attention to what is going on and be prepared for the possibility that things are not as they appear to be. There may be more impacting what is or isn’t happening than you realize.
  • Give others a second chance.
  • Turn that frown upside down.

When we can open up a door of opportunity via effective communication many will feel better. This is positivity in motion. It doesn’t help to exacerbate a negative experience by turning it into another negative experience. In my opinion, that is the same thing as saying two wrongs don’t make a right.

So to put a positive spin on the day, I believe it helps to have a little care package at our disposal. We can dip into it and help ourselves and others have a better day and an improved overall experience.

I don’t know about you, but I would much rather walk out with a smile on my face and see a smile on someone else’s face than carry around and produce frowns with emotional repercussions.

What’s in your care package?

Use it to help provide relief wherever you go and with whatever you do.

Have a great week living life on a positive note.


Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment