Wednesday, June 27, 2018

Better Together, Happy Together!

Better Together, Happy Together!
By Allen Merritt ©2018

I am a jeans and tee-shirt type of person. They are comfortable and seem to always go together well. I guess you could say the combination go happily together. Now doesn’t that remind you of a song? (Happy Together by the Turtles – 1967).

This came to mind as I read a tee-shirt at the coffee shop the other day.

I love reading other people's t-shirts. In fact when I go shopping and looking around in clothing stores I enjoy looking at the t-shirts just to see what they might say. If they say something that is comical and make me laugh or offer a statement towards something I believe in, there's a good chance I might pick that t-shirt up.

In any case, people have some interesting tee-shirts they love to wear. Some are pretty crass and bold while others are just very simple and support organizations or sports teams and whatnot.

It occurs to me how the tee-shirts we wear have phrases on them which are individually reflective of something we think about, support, believe in or have an association with.

Not surprisingly, I saw this simple little tee-shirt last week with two words. Written in red lettering on a white tee were the words, “Better Together.”

I stared at it a minute or two and then wrote it down. I thought this phrase was worth talking about and considering. Especially in a society where we really need to start thinking about who were looking out for and what we care about, what’s important and what makes us happy.

Are we only looking out for ourselves, only looking out for number one? Are we a people who come together in groups, supporting one another and helping one another out or are we only living up to our own selfish needs and ulterior motives? Are we truly better together when we do come together or are we putting on a facade to get what we want?

I find a lot of groups have a lot of internal turmoil going on and quite a bit of personality conflicts which make it seem like they might not be better together. However I think there is something to really explore here, so today I'd like to explore the idea of are we better together or not?

Better Together.
Together Better.

These two little words operate well independently as well. I like the idea of “better” as much as I enjoy “together.” Both are strong and seem to complement one another.

From a positive perspective, focusing on better suggests aiming toward all that is good. Understanding and embracing this enriches our well-being.

Togetherness comes quite naturally for many. Others struggle with it. However, when we mix the two ideas together it seems to suggest something of an acceptance of others in terms of the unconditional, which is also healthy.

None of us are perfect. We make mistakes. Sometimes we do it on purpose and with intent. Where is the middle ground? People have to live with and next to one another. It begs to question how we make anything and everything better and how do we do that individually as well as collectively? It’s a lot to think about and something I think we should ponder every day.

Anyway, I saw this tee-shirt and it made me feel good about people coming together and standing up for something they believe in. In fact, there is a book about research conducted on increasing connectedness to one another titled, “Better Together: Restoring the American Community.” How about that? It touches on apathy in our society and the relevance of reconnecting and bonding. Makes sense!

They even have a website discussing the initiative.


It seems a more positive approach to living then always sitting on our haunches ready to attack and wallowing in the “I don’t care” attitude.

I guess it depends on what each person believes in. However, I think redirecting our thoughts to all that is better as a community for the better part of the whole sounds more appetizing. Many might not feel so alone as a result. But it means something else. It means we have to let go, compromise, agree to disagree, love anyway, embrace and accept and come to some peaceful term within ourselves so we can do the same with each other. In that way, we truly can come together and become better!

Just think, I got all of this from two little words written on a tee-shirt.

Here is a little song I found by the same title written on the tee-shirt I mentioned. It's by Jack Johnson. Have a listen and take it with you as you enjoy your day, your week, your month, your year living life more positively and thinking of ways to make life better…together.


Oh, in case you wanted to listen to Happy Together by the Turtles, here is the link.


Cheers!


No comments:

Post a Comment