Sunday, January 7, 2018

Handling POP-UP Activity!

Handling POP-UP Activity!
By Allen Merritt © 2018

Well, here we are!

It’s officially a week into another year that is speeding right on along good, bad or ugly.

I don’t know about you, but I am continuously conscious of finding ways to reconfigure my thoughts and activities to garner the best outcomes toward accomplishing not only aspirations, but also the day to day, no matter what it throws at me.

One thing is for certain; things are definitely thrown or come up at you out of nowhere. It reminds me of those pesky little pop-ups that appear unexpectedly on your computer screen while working or surfing online. Those “pop-ups” require your attention like it or not in order to move forward with whatever tasks you're attempting.

I also think about the trending idea of “pop-up” shops, which are temporarily based businesses that materialize to make the most of a moment or an opportunity until it is no longer viable at that location, which begs to question, am I making the most of those moments and opportunities? Are my eyes and ears open and am I moving forward and taking best advantage to achieve?

The other question for me is how am I doing at addressing these little “pop-ups” as they happen so that I maintain a sense of calm and positive well-being.

  • Am I being gracious, courteous, considerate or kind?
  • Is my behavior curt, rash, rude or obnoxious?
  • Am I reacting without forethought or getting agitated?
  • Do I feel stressed, pressured or overwhelmed?
  • Am I projecting negativity on other people or making them feel bad?
  • Are my personal thoughts taking on a negative outlook either for me or toward the situation?
  • Am I griping or complaining without even knowing it?

I believe it helps to revisit such concerns and questions from time to time to keep ourselves in check rather than fly off the roller coaster and crash. So what better time than now (the start of a new year) to take a peek on how we are doing individually from our own personal perspective, as well as taking a realistic approach to such assessments.

Sometimes challenges are based on last minute thoughts, ideas and requests presented on narrow to zero time frames. Maybe the challenge presents itself without preparation time and on the spur of the moment.

Here are a couple of recent examples I experienced at a recent conference I worked.

A last minute decision was made to change the configuration of a room AFTER it had already been set for conference recording. This entailed disconnecting cables and wiring in a limited space of time. It meant jumping into action, going with the flow and covering the bases to make sure it all got put back in order in preparation to start the session on time. It was a scramble. For me, there wasn’t any time to be overly concerned or upset after I had spent a couple hours (wasted time) making sure everything was already ready to go before the change took place. All I could do was work cohesively to get things back on track. Honestly, it was a job!

The next day brought a couple of presenters who wanted to set up a technology based session using several elements including three separate laptops, a go-pro, a separate internet based activity and a cell phone. It was a scattered all over the place kind of set up, not seamless at all. Speakers kept forgetting to use microphones so they could be heard and I was constantly reminding them to pick up and speak directly into the microphones. I interrupted their presentation several times to get them on track. Talk about keeping on your toes!

Both scenarios required tireless effort to produce the best version of the session possible despite these little pop-up situations. This goes to show how in the heat of the moment performance, interest and engagement in the activity will take precedence over anything emotional, if we are actively involved in pursuing it. But our perspective and attitude play a role.

They say to become expert at something or make it second nature you need to repeat it many times. Positive awareness works the same way. Keep working diligently at being the best you can be every day and eventually it will be a natural occurrence.

So the challenge I present is to review recent events and grade yourself. See if you can pick up on the little cues you get on a daily basis which are opportunities to grow and improve the best you YOU can be. Use these as learning activities to pursue your true potentialities.

Keep working at it and before you know it all that pop-up activity will simply come and go without malice aforethought, so to speak.

Enjoy the week living positively!

Cheers!



No comments:

Post a Comment