Sunday, January 21, 2018

Destination Impact!

Destination Impact!
By Allen Merritt © 2018

Sometimes it’s the strangest things that stir up our thought processes and wreak havoc on our emotional bloodstreams. It doesn’t take much to set us on an alternative course. If fact, it’s all over the news these days just how one small thing can change everything for better or for worse. People’s lives hang on the brink as a result of one tiny decision, one misstep or one one-hundredth of a point in scoring.

The impact is great and potentially powerful. Ultimately, our destination is to make more of an impact on society. You can see this with social media. How many LIKE's and FOLLOWER's or VIEW's can one person get? More importantly, why does anyone need them?

The reason I bring it up is because I witnessed a bit of an accident the other day while in Los Angeles. I pulled over off the main drag next to a meter and parked. I was in the middle of adding coinage to the meter when all a sudden I heard a loud boom. Three cars were involved. It made me jump, because it was so loud and right next to me. My immediate thoughts were, “Is everyone okay?”, “Whoa, that could have been me! I was just in front of them when I pulled over.”

I stood there and watched for a minute in case there was something I could think of to do. Another pedestrian was already calling 9-1-1. The guy driving the last car who rammed into the back end of the middle car got out and ran to the driver ahead of him to find out if he was okay. Slowly that driver got out and walked around his car. Both were SUVs and the last car was smashed to smithereens (he hit hard – talk about great impact) and leaking all kinds of fluids. I don’t think the middle car was as bad off. The first car was a lady who had been lightly tapped and it wasn’t long before she was driving off. After a few moments I went about my business across the street while keeping a look out. I was hoping the leaking fluids would not catch fire and wondering if the vehicles were shut off. Next came all the emergency responders and care was underway.

All of this brought to mind the significance of impact on any given situation.

I found myself thinking how each of those individuals would now have a change in plan. One guy no longer had a car. What would he do? Did he have someone he could call for help? The other guy had to go to the hospital to verify potential injuries. This impacted their evening. Where were they initially heading to? What were they originally planning to do?

No doubt many people find themselves in moments of re-direction as a result of such an impactful situation, and it can be either positive or negative, which will it be? Do we have a choice on the impact we make?

I am reminded of a teacher who works tirelessly to find ways to pull out the most impactful elements from each student. That is the goal; to be most impactful, to make a great impression and land opportunity.

I am thinking about how powerful sudden impact can be. Also, if we purposefully work toward being impactful, finding ways to make stronger impact toward achievement and seeing that in a positive light, then we can make the most of every chance that comes our way. It takes a certain amount of conscientiousness, to stand out and rise above because first impressions are important, but they are not necessarily indicative of the truth. True impact reaches deeper and considers more than what is apparently on the surface.  You can’t judge a book by its cover, but often people do.  Ever bought a book based on the cover?

Overall, the point of this conversation is to recognize how the idea of making an impact can swing things one way or another, so consider swinging it your way! Look for ways to be more cheerful and bright. Find ways to steer folks into being impressed by your contributions. Discover ways to garner positive attention and create situations whereby others want to be interested in what you have to offer.

The best suggestion I can recommend toward making a greater impact for the good is to focus on the positive and to eliminate the negatives.

Keep that in mind as you continue to live life impact-fully on a positive high note.

Cheers!


No comments:

Post a Comment