Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Inhale- Exhale!

Inhale- Exhale!
© By Allen Merritt (2017)

I read something today worthy of sharing. Its declaration bares repeating, because it pacts a punch when you reflect on it. The statement infers that which you inhale you will also exhale. In other words, what you take in is also what you put out.

The first thing that comes to my mind in relation to this is the analogy of we are what we eat, which makes sense. If I stick to comfort, fried and completely processed foods, I will put on weight, have less energy and not always feel my best. I get it. I am a vegetarian so I understand how certain fruits and vegetables provide the nutrients, energy and protein necessary for a healthier output. I like feeling good. So the chances are, if I am inputting good content, then I am also contributing good content.

The same applies to the activities we choose to participate in. The strongest example of this I guess has to do with drugs and alcohol, which have led many an individual on a downhill spiral to despair and destructiveness, not to mention the negative impact it can have on others. It is something to think about. What are we feeding our spirit and soul and what effect does that have on anything or everything? Personally, I don’t like feeling bad and the idea of drinking to excess and getting sick over it is not appealing at all.

The second idea I get has to do with the concept of how we all breathe the same air and are in the same boat. If we recognize this, our perspective may change to consider more than our own selfish whims. What is in the air? What are we inhaling that could produce a negative impact on our well being. I suppose one could point to how second hand smoke and air pollution impacts health for many. Another thought is on how many times have you witnessed an angry person in a public situation? Did it have an effect that made you feel negative energy moving through you? There is this thing called cause and effect and we all live with it.

Buddhism also speaks to this concept when discussing zazen or meditation. Practitioners focus on breathing and mental exercises to reach a new state of being.

There seems to be an interesting dynamic or dichotomy taking place in the midst of such mindsets.
First, there is the self soothing that comes from breathing exercises where the mind focuses on breathing in healing energies and letting go of toxic ones. Eastern philosophy has always intrigued me this way. I feel its connection. The practice of mind over matter is a difficult one for most westerners to integrate with on a daily basis. But it has great benefits when achieved.

Secondly, there is also the exercise of inhaling goodness and also exhaling the same goodness back into the air we all breathe. (i.e. what you are breathing in you are also breathing out). In this way you are returning back what you took. You are giving back.

It’s like a ripple effect. The moment a wave begins on the other side of the world; we begin to feel it moving toward us. The impact of that wave will vary, but we feel it none the less.

I definitely see two sides of a coin here and both provide benefits to our positive well being.

I like to think I am making every effort I can to give back something positive in everything I do and every move I make albeit I may not always hit the nail on the head and fall a little short now and again.

I would like to challenge myself and everyone else to focus on this topic throughout the next week and beyond. If my body, mind, soul, spirit and senses are a temple, then what am I putting into that temple? How am I nourishing it? And just as importantly, what am I giving back as a result of what I am taking in?

I don’t know, a few habits might change or be broken by thinking about this very topic!

Use the following mantra in your breathing and meditation and see what becomes of it.

Breathe in the good
Breathe out the bad
As I breathe in goodness
Let me return the same

Enjoy living this week on a positive note!


Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment