Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Becoming a Better Human!

Becoming a Better Human!
© By Allen Merritt (2017)

I went to class today and part of the discussion centered on what makes us happy and what we endeavor to do with ourselves. One specific comment caught my attention as I was listening to my coach. It was when he personalized the conversation by saying something to the effect that what makes him happy and what he was attuned to in the way of success was his efforts toward becoming a better human being. My immediate reaction was a smile followed by a verbal response of, “Good choice!” He in turn responded, “I know, right?”

This began with how he redefined the idea of the word ‘success’ and how it applies to daily life and as it relates to the question, “Am I Happy?”

It’s a good question; a really good question!

When was the last time you heard anyone ask you that question? Better yet, when was the last time you took a moment to ask yourself that question? Now may be a good time to stop and consider it.

Let me back up.

My monologue for class began with the question, “Are you happy?”

What followed was a conversation as if I was speaking to myself in the mirror. Here are some excerpts you may find inspiring toward opening up your mind and heart to more positivity and therefore focusing on becoming…yes, a better human being.

Am I happy?
Why are you asking?
No reason.
I don’t see what your question has to do with anything. 
And besides, who asks that kind of question anyway. 
No one! No one ever asks that question! 
No one cares. Not really.

Whoa! How real is that! (And I wrote the monologue!)

If you think about it, we are a society of human beings who may ask the questions: How are you? Are you happy? Doing okay? but nine times out of ten we do not want to hear the answer. These are considered courtesy questions you ask and do not want a reply for. Why? Too busy? Not interested? Don’t care? There may be many reasons for this, but somehow it has become accepted fare from day to day.

I suppose if we define our success (or lack thereof) based on other peoples response, we would not be successful. If we solely focus on what other people are saying or thinking about us we may lose sight of our purpose and what makes us happy (i.e. becoming a better human being).

Am I happy?
Sure! Why not?
I smile. I laugh, I tell jokes and have a good time. 
I may not be the life of the party, but I take in my fair share. 
Don’t you think?
No, don’t comment on that!
I guess you can’t confuse having a good time with being happy. Could you?

Wham! Bam! Boom!

Am I hitting some nails on the head? If we are too caught up in superficiality, we will not discover sustenance and remain unhappy at our core, which leads to nothing but negativity. Who needs or wants that (except those who choose to wallow in misery)?

So it’s a good question. If we want to better define ourselves and our success toward becoming better human beings, we must hit a few nails on the head. Ask the real and serious questions. Break everything down and redefine for ourselves what matters and what makes us really tick.

I think the monologue, class and our little encounter with what’s personal helps personify the need to always explore what is meaningful and make it applicable to daily living on a positive note.

I got all of this out of exploring the question “Am I happy?” and working on it in class.

Ultimately, toward the end of the piece I answered the question as realistically as I knew how.

Let me put it to you this way.
Am I happy?
I’m working on it.
What can I say?
I am a work in progress.

And there you have it. Face the reality. Open up to the possibilities. Live more positively as a result. Do not sweep it under the rug.

Are you happy? What defines your success? What means the most to you? How will you improve yourself? Will the choices you make point you in the direction of becoming a better human being OR, what others will tell you to be?

The challenge? Ask the questions. Answer the questions. Make your own decisions.

Here’s to another week of living life on a positive note.


Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment