Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Open Hands Theory

Open Hands Theory
©Allen Merritt (2016)

I feel like I want to address the idea of openness this week.

If I remember correctly, there was a commercial from days gone by that used the idea of open hands as a symbol to reach out to people. In stands out in my mind as something powerful and true. I thought of this today as I read a few pages of a book I have been trying to finish. The specific chapter spoke to this idea of our open hands and what they represent. For example, displaying open hands conveyed a willingness to receive and propose an offering of some sorts.

I am certain this is different for any individual and dependent on ones outlook and circumstances. But today I think of this theory in context with many situations going on in our world today. For instance, when you see movies or live news footage of police or extremist groups pointing weaponry at someone, many times you see one or more individuals being contained with their hands up and open to show they are not on the defense or holding any kind of dangerous item.

I guess on the other side of the coin (and a more personal note) we can look at the idea of open hands as a way of not holding onto anything. Open hands do not cling or claw at anything and demonstrate a letting go initiative. Some faith based practices utilize this the idea of open handed-ness as a means of opening up to the spiritual world and taking it all in, as well as releasing some sense of self. To release and absord, I guess. There is something positive about this.

It also seems important to not close oneself off from everything albeit there are times it appears it might be the best choice. Recognizing that not all things are what they appear to be helps keep the door open at least a crack until the situation fully presents itself as it is.

Sometimes I wonder if I am too quick to make a decision or make a judgment call without looking further into things. I've noticed that if I wait it out just a bit and keep my mouth closed long enough to assess the whole of a situation or let it play out, I learn much more about it and can make a better decision accordingly. This seems to be a direct result of this "openeness" ideology. It is so easy in our world today to simply react instead of respond and the consequences are not always positive.

One way I see this is in how I know people who won't speak to one another and allow years to go by without contact, thus closing a door. Sometimes it is over little things. How do we move past closing the door and opening another or avoiding closing the door needlessly? This is something worth thinking about, don't you think?

Consciously making a choice to remain open to the possibilities may be one answer to making sure we stay on the positive trail. Just thinking about being "open" helps prevent good opportunity from slipping away.

I also think about how if we stop and take time to listen we are are already creating an open and inviting space to move forward. By opening ourselves up more we are sending out an invitation to the universe and the world around us that we are here, as well as ready, willing and able to receive, offer up and accept more in blessings, opportunity, abundance, success or whatever it is we are searching for and have need or want to be a part of.

I'm sure this conversation has a lot moe to consider. With that in mind, take some time this week to take stock on whether you are living each day with an open attitude and make mental note on whether or not that helps make the week nmuch better as a result.

Here are some ideas that are often tossed around we can rumenate on this week as we ponder the Open Hands Theory.:

Open Door Policy
When One Door Closes...Another Door Opens
Open to Possibilities
Open Communication
Come On In, We're Open!

All the best to us all for a wonderful and fulfilling week.

Cheers!


















No comments:

Post a Comment