Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Boot Strap Boogie!

Boot Strap Boogie! 
©Allen Merritt (2016)

I think everyone has one of those days they could live without. In other words, not have to go through living again.  And then there ARE days you would love to repeat over and over, because they satisfied some part of your well being. I can think of celebratory days to be exact.

Unfortunately, not every day ends in a celebration, but doesn’t it start out that way? To wake up and have the chance to try again or start something new seems like a gift and a blessing all rolled up into one.

I bring up this topic because living more positively takes time, effort and a desire. Therefore, whenever one of those bummers of a day comes along and people start hounding you or attacking your sensibilities, those are the times to try and find the celebration and seek out the good in the moment.

No one is immune to having a vulnerable moment. After all, we are human and must connect with our feelings and many times (in an over stimulated state) this happens when we least expect it. Therein lies a chance to reconnect with our positive initiatives. We discover what it is we are after, what we want, what we don’t want and more.

I had one of those days recently. I felt another individual casting off their negativity onto me and ultimately handing me a low blow insult. I began to deflate inside. Here I was making every effort to communicate, work together as a team, finalize a project and make it the best I could with my contribution, and out of nowhere…WHAM!- right upside the head, so to speak.  That basically ended the work day for me. I needed time to assess my thoughts and feelings; to take a break away from the project.

After a little time to feel whatever it was I was going to feel, then I could decide to move forward and let it all go. I’m sure the person was not intentionally trying to step on my feelings. But my feelings were tested nonetheless. During a time like the one I just experienced is a perfect time to find a friend with a good ear. I was thankful to have one and be able to express my thoughts and let them go instead of bottling them up, which is never good.

The next day I was able to pick up and move on leaving the past in the past.

I remember the idea of picking oneself up by pulling up your bootstraps. I believe it to mean making effort to lift yourself up, which is directly correlated to my previous statement about how it takes time, effort and desire. I had indeed picked myself up by my bootstraps. As a result, I had a successful and productive day. Not only that, I was able to proceed without judgment and continue the working relationship that pushed my boundaries.

This is similar to the word “bootstrapping.”

According to Wikipedia¹, “bootstrapping usually refers to a self-starting process that is supposed to proceed without external input.” I take this to mean that no one but you, yourself and you can get yourself up and going again. Albeit, some help is usually never too far away.

I felt this was as good an opportunity as any to review the idea of bootstrapping. We all need little reminders as we go along with the day to day. So if you notice anyone in your circles going through the ringer, give them a little smile and hang in there nudge. It just might help make their day better and push them to lift themselves up and get on with their day.

Heck, remember that country song called “Boot Scoot Boogie” by Brooks and Dunn? Maybe we should try an exercise this week that anytime something or someone tries to push us over the edge, we should stop what we’re doing and perform a little boogie dance right in the middle of it all. That would certainly break any monotony and tension. In fact, it may infuse something more positive into the already trying day. Now wouldn’t that be a good thing?

Here's a YouTube link to Boot Scoot Boogie to help you shake out some grooves!


Now, ya’ll keep this in mind and go out there and have a boot strap boogie of a week!

Cheers.


https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bootstrapping¹ (Viewed 8/15/2016)

No comments:

Post a Comment