Wednesday, February 3, 2016

More Finding Your Funny!

More Finding Your Funny!
©Allen Merritt (2016)

One year ago I posted a blog entitled, “Find Your Funny.”  I mentioned how I wrote a children’s manuscript that got rejected at least 60 times. I remembered this story while I was writing last week’s blog post. I had a recollection of how I took the idea and coupled it with my interest in improving human capacity by starting the Find Your Funny Campaign. In many ways, this blog is part of that great idea. (I know I wasn't too far off track, because now there are some teen books called Find Your Funny.)

The FYF Campaign is a chance to help others find more ways to turn things around for themselves. As I continue to think on it, I remembered some of those initial efforts I put together to do just that. This all came to my mind while I was recently discussing fortune cookie messages and how they can boost our happy spirits, which I find interesting as I see how one thought leads to another.

The FYF Campaign promoted finding ways to turn the negative around to face the positive. Originally, it was geared toward helping children find coping mechanisms to create positive circumstances. Later, I understood that adults needed the same opportunity.

One way I found to encourage others is to deliberately send out positive cards, postcards and letters. People still like to get those cards and letters, because they rarely see them anymore thanks to modern technology. However, finding a moment to write a note and drop it in the mail causes others to stop and take a moment for themselves, not-to-mention providing a smile and good feeling to that individual. (I used to see myself as the postcard king whenever I was busy traveling. Postcards were a simple, short, quick and easy way to stay in touch with people, as well as let them know they were being thought of or encouraged in some way.) Nowadays, you can also send a text or small encouragement via social media. 

Another thing I tired was sending periodic anonymous notes to a person in need of assurance. If someone was having a hard time of it or suffering in some way, this note would provide a way of letting them know everything was going to work out fine and to hang in there. Having that little note of anonymity spurs on curiosity, as well as letting them know that other people are around, see what’s going on and care. (I think the anonymity plays a huge part in bringing forth a sense of understanding that  no one is ever alone.)

A great FYF Campaign idea I once tried was what I would call “mini-messages,” which is not unlike those little fortune cookie notes I previously discussed. Here is how it works. Find a small wooden box. It can be anything from a recipe box, hand carved box to an unimpressive cardboard box. Take a piece of paper and write several one positive word messages. Cut out each word into a smaller piece. (For me, it was easier creating a table in a Word document, typing in the words, printing them out and then cutting them up to separate the words into small pieces of paper.) Fold up the words and put them in the box. Give the box to a person in need with instructions to reach in once a day and pull out a word. Then have them contemplate on that word for a few minutes as a means to improving their circumstances. These words give them something positive to think about. You can do this for yourself or someone else. In a way, by doing this exercise, you are creating your own fortune cookies.



Examples of positive words can be: 

Peacefulness, Joy, Tranquility, Happiness, Enlightenment, Love, etc.

This brings me back full circle to continuing the Find Your Funny Campaign. I want to encourage you to find your own way to Find Your Funny, but also to extend your reach in doing so toward others. Start your own campaign to help shine a light on other people’s lives and in doing so you will shine a light on your own.


Enjoy living life On a Positive Note!

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment