Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Daring to Live in Full Color!

Daring to Live in Full Color!
©Allen Merritt (2016)

I noticed a vehicle passing by as I glanced out the window from where I was sitting. There was a sign on top of the taxi that read, “Dare to live in full color.”  I immediately grabbed a pen and some paper to jot down the phrase. As a result, I had a flicker of a memory.

As a child, I remember wanting it all. If I were asked what I wanted to be when I grew up, I would dare to say, “I want it all!” I guess that says a lot and is the best way I can describe my outlook on life despite my circumstances. You see, I grew up poor (many people do) and didn’t have much. But my imagination was always alive and in full gear. Despite it all, I envisioned my life in a much better place. In my own way, I was simultaneously reticent and resilient about that; probably because I was shy and uncertain. At the same time, I knew I didn’t have anything to lose by thinking this way. I guess some would say I was a dreamer. I wanted my life to be like a Disney musical in full Technicolor and Dolby stereo surround sound. Such was the imagination and my naiveté. Regardless, I saw my life as being more colorful than my childhood was. Ergo, I was daring to live my life in full color. I could transport myself to that place any time. All I need do was picture myself there. In my own way, I must have been daring myself to live in more colorfully even back then.

If I were to assess and analyze it, more color would indicate a sense of completeness, being more involved in what I love to do and surrounding myself only with those who care and support (and vice versa). So what if I dreamed of having it all. What if it happens? Why not? Never say never! I figure it is always worth a try.

For me, life isn’t about living in black and white. It isn’t only living a routine existence within a box and boundaries. On some level we create our responsibilities. Therefore, we can choose to tweak and alter them to live more fully in a way that makes sense to our inner well-being as we develop our talents and pursue them.

I recommend letting loose some of that imagination; dare to dream bigger than big. I don’t think anyone can be let down by the dream itself, not on the inside anyway. Dreams give us something to aim for. It opens us up to reach further, to hope more and smile vibrantly with greater possibilities to consider.

These days, my view has grown and changed along with technology. I may not think in terms of always wanting it all anymore, but I continue to always want more. Maybe my life movie would now be viewed in high definition and as three dimensional with high end digital surround sound, but it still adheres to my childhood ideals of wanting it all and living colorfully. Ultimately, it teaches the lesson of living more wholly and abundantly.

I think I got the right message today.

Dare to Live in Full Color!

Heaven knows a splash of color never hurt anyone.

We may not get everything we want when we want it, but nature has a way of giving us exactly what we need when we need it. Any perk and benefit landing in our lap as a result of giving, trying and working towards achieving is a huge bonus. That is an important element to remember, but daring to live in full color is also enlightening us to the idea to keep on believing no matter what comes down the pike and seek out ways to move forward despite it all.

Have a great week and enjoy living life On a Positive Note!

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment