Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Show of Appreciation – “On a Positive Note” Challenge #4

Show of Appreciation – “On a Positive Note” Challenge #4
©Allen Merritt (2015)

Most of this month I’ve devoted my blog to the idea of initiating challenges. Today is the final one before moving into the hot and heavy month of August. This week’s topic refers to seeing the good in others, which you might as well as say, includes you. More aptly, I want to talk about taking time to notice value within our lives.

It’s nice to be noticed, recognized, acknowledged, accepted, embraced, wanted and appreciated. Don’t you think so? It’s not necessarily about phishing for validation. It is validation, as well as validating.

In my opinion, the health benefits are numerous, because everything mentioned above is associated with a positive-specific action and/or feeling. When people actively and genuinely demonstrate such things toward themselves and others, they are initiating a positive response system and cause good feelings to precipitate. There is nothing like a great compliment or a vote of confidence to encourage the best in someone. Yet, as often as not, such things are not put to good use. In fact, I think people forget about such activities until suddenly out of nowhere we receive a kind word. Maybe this is because it’s become something of an anomaly or seen as nothing more than phishing for a compliment, brown nosing or being nice just to get something. However, thinking in these terms serve only to bury us deeper into the negative response system such as becoming too cynical, bitter or sarcastic, which can make an indelible negative impact. (Check out the article I found on why people don’t acknowledge each other.)¹

Opening up to the possibilities and trusting the good in others can transform our perspective.

For example, I recently got a message from someone who recognized me while watching television. I thought it was nice that someone took a moment to share that information on their news-feed which prompted another person to chime in and enhance the good feeling with an additional comment on how good and nice I was. This came out of left field to me. In any case, I was reminded of this a couple of days later when I checked my email to find a note forwarded to me from a group of students expressing gratitude and appreciation for the work several of us do toward helping them learn, grow and become better at their vocation. After receiving this note I began considering the importance of spreading good vibes.

Not long ago (before these two messages) I made a point to send out a few cards to those persons whom I considered important to me. People who’ve been a presence in my life for a long time. I thought it important to share with them how much I appreciated them. I wrote, “I am sending you this card if  for no other reason than to say ‘Thank You’ for being an important part of my life.”

On hindsight, it figures that by my sending out a few of these cards the universe returned the same kindness to me via the aforementioned messages.

With this in mind, I present to you the last in this series of challenges. Take time to make time and offer up a show of appreciation to someone every day this week, whether its co-workers, friends, family members or an individual you barely know or only see on occasion. Present compliments, encouragements, or a thank you with a simple note expressing your true thoughts and/or feelings.  Don’t be afraid to present a well deserved “atta-boy” or pat on the back to let somebody see your vote of confidence in them. They probably worked hard to deserve it. 

Not everything in life is a competition. Sometimes people just need and/or deserve a kind word to help them stay on track, keep pursuing a goal and help in achieving some level of success. Their success is our success.

Now go out there and get to it!

Ready, set….GO!

Cheers!

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/evolution-the-self/201301/why-people-dont-acknowledge-you¹ (Viewed 6/8/2015)


LIKE and SHARE our Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/#!/LifeOPN
Follow along on Twitter at www.twitter.com/@lifeopn

No comments:

Post a Comment