Saturday, November 4, 2017

Master of None!

Master of None!
By Allen Merritt (©2017)

There is an old saying/cliché which I dare say many people can relate to, which is, “Jack of all trades, master of none.” In a nutshell, this phrase suggests how people do not gain wealth and security because they have not mastered or developed an expertise in any one thing. Therefore, their success in life is comparatively limited. On one hand I understand it. On the other hand, the world has changed.

Personally, I relate to this statement. However, I have a different take on it, which I think lands me on the positive side of living. As a result of my perspective, I have survived and continue onward in the face of all my experiences.

Here is the way I see it. For me, life has been on my own. I am an only child. My family ties are limited. Nothing was ever given to me on a silver platter. To navigate the whole of my life I must work. No one else will provide or support me (either monetarily or morally). Support structures are minimal and finding areas where I am embraced and accepted by mere virtue of who I am barely exist.

Think on the following questions.

  • How many individuals find themselves in this boat?
  • How many people are depressed, suicidal and gravitate toward substance abuse and addiction?
  • How many aren’t able to cope and feel uninspired, unmotivated and uncertain of their options?
  • How may have already given up hope or given up period?
  • What are the numbers when it comes to persons who feel their life is meaningless and they will never succeed at anything in life?

All are good questions. And, as someone who has been utterly on their own in much the same manner as these questions would purport, I always wonder how I make it through and some do not.
What makes me different?

I think the answer lies in the ideology of being blessed with the ability to find a perspective (even if it takes time to achieve it), as well as focusing on the many available options, which leads me back to the concept of jack of all trades.

My experience in life is based on being able to do many things. It pays to be diverse and versatile. That is how you make it through the roller coaster ride. For me, as a starving artist type, learning to jump in and wear many hats has paid off in seeing me through the tough times where opportunities were limited and money was short. If I were not able to adjust and adapt to my conditions and environments, I may have been utterly out of luck on the street.

The choice was mine.

From my experience, being an expert at something doesn’t guarantee success, opportunity or continued survival in your field of expertise. At least, in this day and age, the old cliché does not stand up to the weather. One can see this in how many individuals graduate with a degree in their chosen field and end up working jobs that have nothing to do with their profession. Moreover, many companies hire people who have the ability to wear more than one hat as they do not have the means to hire a one trick pony, so to speak.

With this in mind, I believe that one way to approach life positively is by buckling up and learning how to do more things. One cannot be afraid to be a jack of all trades. A skill (or set of skills) may or may not set you apart. Ultimately, success is how you define it, not as others tell you it is.

In short, my challenge for everyone is to look at all you are capable of doing and all that you do instead of brooding over what you do not have or feel you can’t do or are being kept from doing. Positivity begins with opening up our minds and hearts to the many things we are able to do in service to others and to ourselves.

Go ahead and be a jack of all trades. It doesn’t mean you cannot be a master at something or all things. It simply means you are alive and doing the best you can with what you have. In that, you move forward. Hopefully, on a happier and joyous note!

Have a great week and be positive about yourself!

Cheers!



No comments:

Post a Comment