Wednesday, September 13, 2017

What Now?

What Now?
By Allen Merritt (©2017)

Yesterday was a busy day. Nothing unusual about that statement, I suppose. Many people can say that about any given day, but for me it was busy enough that I found myself wondering what I really should be doing with my day today, especially since I already know I have committed myself for a job happening tomorrow. I don’t want to squander my energy.

It’s already mid-afternoon and I am about to head down for some exercise in the gym. I figured that is one solid thing I can do for myself that rates high on the positivity scale. Here’s the funny thing, I am not running down there in any quick manner. I checked my email yet one more time. I play an online game. I think about what I have not accomplished today. I think about what I have accomplished today. Then before you know it, I realize I haven’t done anything today.

Oh, boy!

What now?

There is this part of me that does not have to convince myself I need to do anything at all. There is always plenty to do and knowing that helps keep me in my perfect place or right state of mind. If it needs doing, it will still be there to do tomorrow; or, in my case, the day after tomorrow (which never comes by the way).

In any case, promoting a positive well being is to understand there are times when you simply allow yourself to be in mind, as well as body. I thought of this earlier and another thought came into my mind about not forgetting to add my heart into the mix.

I took this to mean to add my heart onto the list as it refers to my well being. Get to the heart of the matter, as they say! In other words, I realized I should be clear with myself that when I have a choice to keep my mind, body, soul, spirit and senses calm, cool, collected, happy and content in the midst of the daily grind, that I should also include my heart.

Seems like I remember a statement about guarding your heart, which I take to mean to safeguard your heart against hurtfulness; but it can also mean to not forget your heart, because it is a part of everything you are and do, too. Ultimately, maybe doing not much of anything instead of feeling like you have to do something (or are obligated to) is good for your hearts well being and not just your head.

Thusly, having moments where you are sitting there thinking, “What now?” may be just the ticket of awareness that leads you down a path of answering back, “Nothing. Let’s do nothing.”

Unfortunately, it doesn’t always work that way, but I think most people are aware of the fact they need a little “me” time and conversely plan for it with long weekends, planned vacations, little day trips, a spa lunch and whatever else tickles their fancy!
  
I will say it again; there is always plenty of things to keep us busy in the world. Knowing this means there can never really be any sense of this thing called boredom, only a sense of lack when it comes to taking care of self in the midst of routine. Next time you find yourself with a little time on your hands, take advantage of listening to your mind, body, soul, spirit, senses and HEART and see if you need to do anything at all.

So what now?

I guess nothing…positively nothing.

Take that and stuff into your tool bag this week!

Enjoy and have a great time doing nothing on a positive note.


Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment