Wednesday, November 9, 2016

Vote for Positivity!

Vote for Positivity!
©Allen Merritt (2016)

Well, I did it!

I voted.

I felt strongly I had to get out there and do it this time. I don’t always participate in elections due to the fact I am not political. But today was another story and I did it. No matter what the outcome I feel positive about myself in making a choice that reflects more of what I want to see in the world, which is positive change. I do not support negative change or change through destruction, manipulation or self interest. I want the best for everyone even if I do not always agree. And this season of change was a hard one to consider. I do not know anyone who didn’t think so. For myself, I wanted to be THAT change I want to see in the world, as they say.

With that in mind, I am spending plenty of time lately thinking about what I like and don’t like, want and don’t want. More importantly, I am putting a positive spin into as many decisions as I can about how I am going to maneuver and navigate through life with the changes that are going on out there. What better time to do such an assessment!

This political season has caused me to remember and consider more on the importance of balance, purposeful peacefulness and healthy compromise. I shook my head and rolled my eyes more times than I care to count over the last 18 months. One thing I can honestly say is I am glad it is not me on that stage.

In any case, all of the political races I have seen advertisements for are teaching me what I do not want to see. I think this is an important thing to understand when it comes to creating both a positive personal and community space. That is to recognize what you do and don't want to see when you see it happening before your eyes. To clarify, I remember seeing someone get addicted to opiates over time. I think it greatly and negatively impacted their life, but it also had an affect on mine, because I was seeing something I did not want to see in myself. To this day I hold no interest in any kind of drug. I see the same thing when I observe excessive intoxication. I realized I did not see any fun in the idea of getting sick, so I avoid drinking on that level. I use these personal analogies to bring home the point that sometimes we witness situations that teach us what we do not want in life. We have relationships with people that teach us what we don’t want in a relationship or what we do not want to become in a relationship. Negative situations offer us a positive outcome in this way.

So here we are on another election day and I feel good. I voted and whether or not it really makes a difference overall doesn’t matter. What does make a difference is how I personally and positively am affected by my efforts.

I believe if you are conscientious in your decision making, then there is a good chance you will move toward a better place and a happier one at that.  So in the end I vote for anything that encourages the best in everyone and everything. I think that is a goal in life worthy of achievement. I vote for the positive. I vote for peace, joy and happiness. I vote for the opportunity to pursue these things without prejudice or discrimination. I vote to build people up and not tear them down. I vote for surrounding yourself with those that truly care about you and your situation, people who will actually participate and engage in your life, as well as support it; anything less than this needs reconsideration or re-direction.

I hope everyone enjoys their week and reflects on the voting process and remains prayerful and mindful to any and all voting outcomes. Regardless, let’s make a resolution to stay positive!

Vote for positivity, potentiality and possibility!

Cheers!



No comments:

Post a Comment