Wednesday, October 19, 2016

The Law of Murphy Strikes Again!

The Law of Murphy Strikes Again!
© Allen Merritt (2016)

I woke up Monday morning feeling rested enough, but without being able to put a finger on it I felt kind of like I was walking through limbo land. I should have known right then and there I was in for a ride. Murphy’s Law grabbed on with a vengeance. You know, whatever can go wrong will go wrong? This wasn’t the first time and it may not be the last time. I’ve even written about it in a previous blog. 

Anyway, I just want to know who this Murphy is anyway and where can I find him, so I can give him a little piece of my mind and the what for! That Murphy’s Law mindset is simply negative. There’s no two ways about it. Unfortunately, there is some truth in it from time to time. For me, it began on Monday and interestingly carried on into to Tuesday.

In the best of situations things are not always going to happen the way you think they will or in the time frame you hope they will. Things come about, get in the way, and stop working for no reason whatsoever and so on.  That was my Monday at almost every turn. It was a miracle I got anything done! Put other people’s attitudes, misunderstandings and perspectives into that mix and that barrage of Murphy issues becomes exacerbated. It’s exhausting and sometimes emotional.

Of course, my main concern is how to get through it unscathed and preserve positivity. Some important things to remember is to maintain awareness, breathe, remain calm, do not act rashly, avoid reactivity and give a little space and time to the matter, if you can. I realize this is not always possible up front, especially if there are other people directly involved and time is of the essence.

I have a couple of friends who are always telling me Mercury is in retrograde. I guess it is dwelling there, because it has not left retrograde in quite a long time (he says with an attempt at humor).

Whatever the circumstance, I understand decisions and life happens in these moments where the very core of our humanity and humanness are challenged beyond belief. The good news is that I did get through Monday and made all my appointments and fixed the issues, but I did not walk away feeling great about any of it. And, thus we say time heals all wounds. Take a little time to embrace, accept, adjust or be aware of what you are feeling and what is going on, because then a better decision and responce can come about and healing the situation will be facilitated.

Tuesday led to more frustration between personalities over what happened on Monday all the way to the point where I was prepared to make a decision to walk away and move away from certain job 

opportunities, if need be. I did my best to smooth out problems and successfully for the most part. And, I was grateful. Ultimately, we have to be aware that we cannot always control others and their reactions in the heat of a moment.

I am reminded how I am not the type to want to cause grief for others, but at the same time I wish the same peaceful approach to myself. That is a positive and important message. Be good to yourself so you can be as good if not better to others. Ultimately, the craziness settled, moments passed and along came an apology that really spurred on an opportunity to forgive and forget.  Yahoo!

At the moment, I am looking for only good news to come into the fray from today on. I’m seeing it! I envision it! I command it! Okay, I’ll settle down a bit, but you get the idea. Keep an eye on the prize and look for the best in every situation, especially those that appear to be getting out of hand.

Now, here is another button to my experiences which may prove helpful. I attended a small reception at the end of my conference day Monday and had a little glass of vino! One of the attendees and speakers came along to chit chat. She was lively and fun and shared how her trip was quite the ordeal as a passenger had passed away in mid flight. She relayed how medics, doctors and flight attendants were all busy administering CPR, which they are required to do until paramedics arrive. In this case, the plane had to land to make that happen. Get the picture; a lot of ongoing work for those responders while the family of the passenger looked on in grief. The plane routed to the closest airport and nose dived to the ground faster than the lady had ever experienced in the way of a landing.

After hearing this story, I remember thinking to myself how this makes my crazy day with Murphy and his dad-gummed law seem like nothing at all. So the moral to all this is maybe it isn’t (or wasn’t) all so bad.  And, we are not alone and not the only ones experiencing the causes and effects of one thing or another.

Thus we end another week on a positive note.

Have a good week.


Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment