Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Extra! Extra...Ordinary!

Extra…Extra-Ordinary!
©Allen Merritt (2015)

Several years ago I have the distinct joy and pleasure to get cast in a community theater production of a musical entitled Pippin. One of the songs demonstrated how the leading character of Pippin (son of King Charlemagne) felt about himself and life: Extraordinary.

Patching the roof and pitching the hay
Is not my idea of a perfect day
When you’re extraordinary
                                         You gotta do extraordinary things!

He has a high opinion of himself and what he thinks he deserves and in the process slights those who are forced to live such a life. In the end he learns he is no different than anyone else as he looks for the meaning of life.

What does it take to be more than the every day, more than the ordinary?

I have seen some ordinary people do incredible things. I dare say there is no one who would disagree that firefighters, law enforcement, healthcare workers and emergency care workers are not doing something extraordinary in the middle of the mundane. These are not superstars or celebrities. They are like you and I fighting to live a life fulfilled. They try to bring meaning to life.

There are days when I feel insignificant and worthless. At times it seems existence is meaningless. That is the negative forcing itself upon the circumstances of the moment. Interestingly, I am incredibly aware this isn’t true when I see disaster striking on the news in some area of the world. Lives are torn up and apart and even destroyed by terrorist groups, natural disasters and at the hands of people losing their minds. Suddenly, I realize my circumstances are only relative to me. Everyone feels and hurts. Therefore, it becomes easier to turn things around and see the better side of the coin and embrace a positive stance. Suddenly, life isn't so bad.

But when living in the moment and experiencing that which is never easy, how does one reconcile oneself to be more than what is and feels quite ordinary? While thinking about this I made a list of all the regular, average and uninteresting jobs I have had throughout the years. Amazingly, I worked in a lot of low level jobs. I also felt I was going nowhere really fast despite knowing what I was supposed to be doing with my life. It’s just that the reality of it all interferes with moving forward so that you can take care of responsibilities here and now. As my mother would have said, no one owes you a living; no one is going to hand you everything on a silver platter.

It’s a lot to consider, but here are some of the jobs that helped make me who I am today.
  
Sales Booth, Videographer, Assembly line manufacturing mass transit lighting fixtures, Warehouse for cement flooring, File Clerk, Executive Assistant, Money Wire Transfer, Administration, Receptionist, Day laborer, Human Resource Recruiter, Store Stocker, Call Center Representative, Training & development Manager, Trainer, Audio Visual technician, Curriculum builder, Dancing Chicken on side of the road, Cartoon Characters, Blob of toothpaste, Delivery driver for reprographics, Convenience store clerk, Choreographer, Director, Actor/Singer/Dancer, Company manager, Assistant to General Manager (Banking, Payroll, Contracts), Singing telegrams, Retail clerk, Balloon decorator, Telemarketing, Graphics, Marketing, Writer, Newspaper apprentice, Laundry worker, Busboy, Food server, Fast Food cook, Janitorial worker, Destination Management and many more (I’m sure).

I list these jobs to remind me of the ordinary and how I made the most of each opportunity to make some kind of living and survive while I was endeavoring to pursue my dreams. It IS ordinary, but in the end when you come through it and can achieve, it becomes extraordinary!

We may have dreams, goals, ambitions and things to accomplish, but along the way we will always have to face the every day. How do we make the every day more interesting and extraordinary?
  • By being the best we can possibly be in the here and now with what we are doing.
  • By making the most of the situation and in knowing that this is not all there is.
  • By believing in yourself and what you have to offer.
  • By realizing there is always various paths that will get you where you need to go.
  • By being you and aiming for the best possible outcomes.

We may have to slop of few farm animals, hoe a few rows and take out the trash before we get to where we want to be, but that doesn’t make us any less than who we are, want to be or can be. Once we realize this, we can put on our best smile and whistle a little more frequently. Faith, perseverance and persistence is what helps make a person extra…extra-ordinary!

Here is a link to the song Extraordinary. If you are daring enough you can try out the second link and sing along karaoke style. Have fun!



Be Extra…Extra-Ordinary in the every day~!

Cheers!


No comments:

Post a Comment