Wednesday, May 27, 2015

What About the Weather!

What About the Weather!
©Allen Merritt (2015)

The other day I watched the skies cloud over the city. An hour later the sky was blue and filled with sunshine. Next thing I knew, clouds rolled back in again. This went on, going back and forth, throughout the entire day. It seemed that just when I thought it was going to be clear something meteorologically would change. Mother Nature was teasing us with a little “Yes” and then a little, “No.” It felt like the world was dangling a carrot in front of me and then jerking it up and out of reach.

Now, I am a warm weather sort of person. In terms of having a feel-good moment my happy place is in seeing a beautiful sunny day. I don’t mind a little rain, snow and coolness, but over the years I’ve discovered I’m not at my best when I’m inhibited by the elements for great lengths of time. Therefore, I would never imagine myself living in Alaska, Iceland, Antarctica or Siberia. Burr!

The reason I bring up this subject in relation to positivity is because of how it relates to the catchphrase, “If you don’t like the weather, stick around a minute and it’ll change.” In many cases, this is true. In fact, I always check out the weather forecasts when I am traveling to gauge what it will be like during the trip. 

What’s interesting to me is that everywhere I go; I have heard the locals say the same thing about their weather, as if it only applies to their area. Despite it all, I understand it’s their way of saying, “Wait it out. It won’t last long.”

I believe there is something positive and comforting in leaning into this little phrase about the weather changing, which we can carry with us throughout each day, week, month and so forth. I guess we can always relate braving the storms, trials and tribulations of life to the weather patterns we experience. No matter how difficult and scary it may be, there is an ebb and flow as the days come and go.  Tornados, hurricanes, earthquakes, avalanches and tsunamis never stick around. Ergo, if you don’t like the storm, weather it out as safely as possible.

Think of the following as little storm related anecdotes:

  • Hang in there!
  • This too shall pass!
  • It will not last.
  • This is temporary.
  • Hold on a moment.

Maybe it is a bit cliche in a way, but aren't cliches usually a part of a bigger truth? And, if we are trying to find ways to create a better day for ourselves and others, then wouldn't we want to focus on good health and well being? How can we do that if we allow ourselves to feel like circumstances never change; or, we will continue to remain stuck in a rut; or, that we are not capable or rising above our circumstances like the Phoenix Rising? There is real world application in the ideology of sticking around and watching things change, especially if we focus on positive change and their outcomes.

So if you feel like there is a black cloud hanging over your head, consider embracing it for a bit. Stick around for a while and it will change just like the weather. Maybe it’s a sign to sit tight long enough to watch everything play out in front of you and to clear your head a bit. The night is always darkest before the dawn, but the sun soon appears.

Don’t like the weather?

Stick around and watch it magically change...for the better!


Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment