Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Spare Some Change?

Spare Some Change!
By Allen Merritt (2016)

Every time I walk out the door it seems I have someone walking up to me and asking for some spare change. It happens a lot these days. 

Unfortunately, I don’t have a lot of change to spare. So when I saw a man making his way toward me today, I immediately waved him off. I didn’t want to discuss it. I felt at odds, because on the one hand I am a caring person and on the other I am human and find myself feeling bombarded and put in a precarious position to always have to respond, which can happen several times a day.

I’m sure many reading this will understand the feeling having experienced it themselves. It seems more people are destitute and/or living day by day, hand-to-mouth. I understand, because I have been in low spots myself including living on the streets with no place to call home. But the one thing I would never do is ask people for change or have to ask people for money very often.  Reason being, I didn’t want to make people feel bad, least of all myself. But that is just me. 

Today I was having a moment and didn’t want to be bothered. Interestingly, the man seemed to understand and thanked me anyway and asked me to drive safely. I thanked him for that. I have to remember that there by the grace of God go I. I get it. But truth be told, each of us can only do so much. I appreciated his positive response and the fact he offered me some form of change...in attitude.

This leads me to contemplate the idea of sparing some change in context with creating positive environments.

What we CAN do is to offer change in a different way. Help in the best way we are able to. Usually, I simply say, “Not today. Thank you.” I don’t want people to feel bad or get upset as a result of their situation. I also don’t want to feel bad in saying, “No.”  Instead, I want to reflect a state of well being that might rub off on them and improve their day not make it worse. So when I suggest sparing some change or making change happen, I don’t mean always offering money.  Offering to buy them a cup of coffee, a sandwich or meal is helpful. A smile or a word of encouragement might be a type of change they aren’t used to experiencing. That kind of change might turn around someone’s day or even “make their day” better.  That kind of change is worth something to everyone.

There are a variety of ways for us to stimulate change toward helping others. It will be a matter of discovery on best ways to offer change in a healthy and positive way that also works within your means; whether that be time, talent or simply sharing a good attitude or even offering helpful suggestions.

As we celebrate New Year’s Eve, let us consider what kind of spare change we can offer to ourselves and the world around us. My Uncle once shared a plan for sparing some change that has helped me more than once in my life. He told me to keep my loose change and thrown it in a jar and leave it there. A penny here and a penny there may do some good somewhere down the road. And, of course that is true. In fact, I remember a time when I lived in Dallas, Texas and I had no money on me and no food in the house. I began searching every nook and cranny to see if I could find any spare change. I found a little over a dollar hiding in the couch and in corners. I managed to walk to the grocery store and buy a bag of beans, a bag of rice and a banana. I felt blessed when I left that store and I still had some change in my hand. I managed to buy enough food to last a few days on less than a dollar. Every little bit counts.

That’s the message I want to share this week. Promote positive change. If you have loose change or can spare a little positive change toward helping yourself and/or someone else in having a better day, then that is one step forward in living life on a positive note.

Will you spare some change in the New Year?

It’s something to consider!

All the best for a great week.

Cheers!



No comments:

Post a Comment