Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Keep Calm and…What?!

Keep Calm and…What?!
©Allen Merritt (2015)

What a week!

How many times have you said that when it was only Tuesday?

Have you noticed that saying which keeps popping up all over the internet and is printed on tee shirts and stuff, “Keep Calm and…(fill in the blank)?” It’s everywhere these days. I have thought about that phrase often this week and seriously contemplated what my ‘fill in the blank’ would be.

I laugh at the idea it would be some quick retort to my circumstances which accurately conveys a sense of the sarcastic in me. But, in truth, being reactive (as opposed to being responsive) is not the place I want to reside. To live in a place of stress, concern, irritation or anger does not appeal to me anymore. However, I am human, so when I find myself in the midst of a whirlwind I have to take stock in what is going on, where I am at, how I feel about it and what is the best approach for producing a positive resolution.

I don’t know anyone who doesn’t have these moments. The kind where they are trying to get things done, having to entrust other people to get those things done only to discover it isn’t happening. Situations just drag on.

Here’s an example:

I have been dealing with leaking pipes running down into my apartment from another unit. I caught it a week before Christmas last year and it still has not been repaired or the walls rebuilt. It has taken almost 4 months of living in a construction zone, wastewater dripping bedroom to get any conscientious human being to take responsibility for fixing it. Insurance already worked out the details and still I couldn’t get the problem fixed. I called every legal health and safety agency; got nowhere. Finally, I began to calmly share my thoughts with the appropriate individuals and asked, ‘How angry does a person have to get before someone listens, assesses and takes action?” It is interesting what happens when you inform people you are at a total loss, ready to throw in the towel and are turning everything over to legal.

Sound familiar?

How do you maintain a sense of calm despite it all?

According to Wikipedia¹, the Keep Calm and Carry On phrase was created in 1939 as a motivational morale-boosting poster put out by the British in preparation for the Second World War. They wanted the populace to keep their wits about them and work together for the common good. Makes sense, right?

This also reminds me of a little book by Robert Fulghum titled, “All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten.” ²

Here are some ideas put forth by Fulghum:  Share everything, Play fair, Don't hit people, Put things back where you found them, CLEAN UP YOUR OWN MESS, Don't take things that aren't yours, Say you're SORRY when you HURT somebody, Wash your hands before you eat and Flush.

Now, none of these ideas are new, but there is a little lesson here. And that is, I think everyone needs helpful reminders every now and again to help them through trying moments. Despite the fact we may know something, we get distracted, caught up in the moment, trapped in the rat race and feel overwhelmed and pressured by so much in today’s society that we hardly feel we can breathe let alone remember our core essence.

We must pause for a moment. Take a breath. Regain composure. Clear the head. Respond accordingly.

In the end, I am pleased I kept my calm and addressed my situation respectfully, responsively and without raising my voice. I remain hopeful all will be resolved and put back into place soon. But, in the meantime…….ay-yi-yi!

So.

What situations are you trying to sort out?

Are you working to end them on a positive note?

What will your ‘fill in the blank’ be?

Keep Calm and… (what?)!

Think about it. Be creative. Come up with something fun that really works for you.

Today, I will choose to fill in my blank with the word “Laugh.”

Keep Calm and Laugh!  

Ha, ha, ha!

Cheers!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keep_Calm_and_Carry_On¹ (Viewed on 4/14/2015)
http://www.goodreads.com/work/quotes/2399046-all-i-really-need-to-know-i-learned-in-kindergarten²(Viewed on 4/14/2015)


No comments:

Post a Comment