Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Implosion: Boom!

Implosion: Boom!
©Allen Merritt (2015)

Recently, I had the privilege and opportunity to watch an implosion of a building in Las Vegas. I practically had a front row seat and set up a video camera to capture the quick 5-10 seconds of demolition. I had not witnessed anything like it before. It was exciting for me. I waited outside on the balcony for about an hour and fifteen minutes before the event finally took place. Safety was a big factor. Roads were shut down, viewing areas designated and wind conditions monitored. This took place close to 3:00 am on a Tuesday morning.

When the moment finally arrived it came without warning, but luckily all cameras were recording. It sounded like a string of firecrackers going off and then the walls came a tumbling down and billowing clouds of dust rolled toward me. I could feel the rumble of it all vibrating up from my feet. As quick as it began it was over. And, as the clouds rolled away, one lone Leaning Tower of Pisa still stood (the elevator shaft). Something went wrong and it did not fall. It was considered a failure. Now the crew had to find a way to successfully achieve positive results with dismantling this lurking (unsafe) structure.

Herein lies the chance to notice how a “negative” standing there in all its former glory high above the rubble like a sore thumb allows us a chance to find away to explore solutions. It got me thinking about how I push for positive results every day (some days better than others). Just when you think you’re on the right track and everything is in place you discover a piece of the puzzle needs attention.  

I remember as a kid I kept to myself, because I was shy and a loner type. I didn’t enjoy confrontation and wasn't interested in stirring up trouble. That’s the way I saw things. I wasn’t encouraged to have a voice or speak my mind. “You are to be seen and not heard,” was a phrase I heard repeatedly. Unfortunately, when this happens you tend to keep things bottled up inside and then guess what happens? Yep, you eventually, without warning, implode. Everything inside comes screaming out and usually not at an opportune time. This cannot be healthy. It happens, because no matter how much people try to control and entrain you to their way of thinking or their expectations there comes a moment when even the best of us get pushed over the edge. This is why everyone must talk their way through things as they happen, open up and communicate respectfully. When a person is egged on and on and on there is a negative impact.

I have imploded a time or two and I always feel awful afterwards. However, taking a positive spin on a situation and realizing that things are not always as they appear to be, communicating respectfully and taking initiative to respond as opposed to reacting sheds light and infuses better energy into a situation to bring things into positive perspective.

Consider the following:
  •  If something bothers you, find a way to speak up and respectfully discuss it as a concern.
  • Evaluate the situation and be sure you understand what is going on before reacting.
  • Take a time out and come back to the situation if needed.
  • Do not let it eat away at you! If you find yourself half awake most of the night, something is wrong and it deserves attention, so address it appropriately at the next available opportunity.
  • Do not go on the defense and attack.

I am sure there is a lot more that can be said about such a hot topic, but for now I will leave it there….On a Positive Note. And, in case you were wondering, the rest of the elevator shaft came down without issue.



Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment