Wednesday, July 4, 2018

Lazy, Hazy, Crazy Days of Summer!

Lazy, Hazy, Crazy Days of Summer!
By Allen Merritt ©2018

July is that time of year when people are settling into getting out and about on vacations, weekend trips, barbecue get-togethers and what not to celebrate summer living, life and each other. People head to the lakes, go camping, have family reunions and simply do what they can to get away from it all, escape and pretend all is wonderful in the world by not focusing on anything that seems wrong.

Take advantage of the opportunity to vacate from the world as you know it  even if it’s over long weekends and mini celebrations. It helps you let go and possibly recharge. What can be more positive than that?

I did this once in 1994. I needed to get away from everything and everyone. I decided to go the extreme and took off for Africa, just me, my pup tent and supplies.

It was an amazing experience. Some places I ended up were frightening, but overall the adventure was one of a life time. My soul needed it for positive restoration/rejuvenation.

These days I do not get moments like that as trips and vacations are too costly now, but I try to take advantage of every moment that I get to go to another city (even if it is work related) to get out into a new environment and drink in its spirit and revitalize some of those positive aspects I need to find my peace.

As July 4th approaches, everyone I can think of in this country will be celebrating for one reason or another. Fireworks burst all over the place and we are reminded of so many things related to being American. However, I think it’s just as good a time as any to remember our humanness, our vulnerabilities as well as our abilities to overcome and build on our resilience to persevere and persist despite the everyday grind.

Everyone celebrates differently and in their own way, no doubt. For me as I think of this I think about celebrating life as a gift and a blessing.

Positivity in motion is found in not talking ourselves out of appreciating and being grateful for the bounty we have as opposed to being miserable on worrying about what we don’t have. 

Importantly enough is stopping and enjoying ourselves a bit. Nothing new with anything being said here, but it is good to be reminded.

I am about to take off on a little work related trip that will extend into a little extra time to visit with people I care about and love. I don’t get to do that often, as I mentioned before, because it means taking time off, having the funds and removing myself from the work place for a while. You know, that disconnecting from society and the world.

I look forward to seeing, visiting, laughing, playing and simply spending time with the ones I don’t get to see very often (aunts, uncles, cousins, adopted family, friends from back home, etc.) And, while it is not exactly a vacation, it is quality time and time well spent; even though I will be driving all over the place over a period of a couple of weeks.

This is where I can gain some positive energy and reconnect with myself, my spirit and find more positivity for which to share with everyone else. We all need this time to celebrate and appreciate. I know I am ready for it. How about you?

Let’s get out there and take advantage of those lazy, hazy, crazy days of summer in the best way each of us can.

So enjoy the summer. Enjoy the weekends. Enjoy the vacations. Enjoy every moment.

Here is that old Nat King Cole song Those Lazy, Hazy, Crazy Days of Summer! to help kick off the festivities!


Enjoy living life on a positive note!


Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment