Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Shutting Out the World

Shutting Out the World
©Allen Merritt (2016)

I am always looking around at the world when I am driving. Whether it’s a long commute or road trip or just a quick trip to take care of an errand, I find myself observing the world. And, I have to say, it’s always interesting. I am constantly spying oddities, craziness, as well as fun things. I guess if it takes all types, then you see it all when you are out running around.

While listening to the radio in the car a conversation started about how one disc jockey was trying to take more time to shut out the world by turning off the lights, sitting on the edge of his bed and eliminating any noise. His discussion was centered on how he was attempting to find time to meditate and chill out a bit. It was interesting because he seemed open to the experience and also open to idea that if it works, great; and if it doesn’t, move on.

It got me to thinking about the idea of shutting out the world as a necessary step in creating more positive opportunity in life. Sometimes it is necessary to take time for yourself without giving a thought to anybody else or anything. Forget the list of activities. Forget the “honey-do” list. Forget about office politics. Forget about everything in the news and take time to make time to just sit for a while. Allow yourself to “Be.”

This thought process reminded of a musical titled Stop the World I want to Get Off! Just the title alone speaks to this idea,  'I want to get back to myself and feel good again.'

It’s hard to sit still anymore. So much to take care of and so much to do. Funny, I don’t really see that is anything new. As a child I was a wiggle worm. My mother used to ask me if I had ants in my pants. I was always a bit ansy, I guess.

In any case, we stand a better chance of relaxing and getting back to a place of feeling stable, calm, content and happy when we stop long enough to check in with ourselves. Be still and know, as they say.

What is fun about taking a time out is learning about yourself and discovering things you haven’t been paying attention to. Meditating opens up your inner world to observing things you haven’t been observing. It’s as it you turn up the volume on some listening mechanism locked deep inside yourself and suddenly your hearing things, thinking things, coming up with simple solutions and answers that have been trapped away for way too long.

With this in mind, I challenge you to take a little time out to meditate, contemplate, relax, chillax or whatever you choose to call it to increase possibility, potentiality and positivity over the next week. It benefits not only you, but those who gravitate around and to you. Think of it like a smile. It’s contagious and gets passed on. I don’t know too many who wouldn’t appreciate a feel good smile.

There are many ways to mediate and many resources and material can be found out there to help one learn more about doing so. Get back to yourself every once in a while. Don’t feel like you always have to be pleasing everyone else or living up to their expectations and standards. Here are a couple of links that may be of service to you should you find yourself in need of some “Me” time and growth time. Take a peek and generate some peacefulness for yourself and the world by stopping the planet, sitting still and shutting out the world if only for a minute.

Think about it and go out there and have a positive, happy-go-lucky week!

Meditation information:

Guided meditation videos:

Cheers!




No comments:

Post a Comment