Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Find the Good – OPN Exercise #2

Find the Good – OPN Exercise #2
©Allen Merritt (2015)

I think most people know what it’s like to search for Easter eggs or go on a scavenger hunt. We are looking for something specific and attempting to gather it up and store it in our collection baskets or bags. It’s kind of like squirrels gathering nuts for the winter or collecting candy goods every Halloween by darning a scary costume and going door-to-door trick or treating. Afterwards, we have a supply of something we like or something good that we can enjoy now, as well as later.

This week’s OPN exercise highlights the idea of finding the good in something even when the initial impression or experience is mostly negative. If you could re-envision the experience, what could you or would you see or do to make it different and improved?

I remember being told that if I did not have anything good to say then don’t say anything at all. Then there was the Golden Rule of doing unto others as you would have them do unto you. I believe the ideas illustrated by these sayings had more to do with teaching us how to create positive environments than it did in teaching us manners.

In a day and age when so many air their dirty laundry on social media and feel obliged to rant and rave their personal thoughts and opinions (without a filter) to the point of anger, it’s difficult to see anything good. In any case, it is an idea to work on.

Here is an example of finding good in something which I’ve used a lot. Many times I have auditioned for job opportunities. Afterwards, I never learn the outcome or results. Most of the time I don’t know how I did. Was I right for the job? Did I do well at representing myself? Did I have a chance? Or, did I get the job? Generally, I have to go into the audition, give it a go and leave with the idea of forgetting I had ever gone. This is a difficult task to achieve when you are constantly hunting for work opportunities. One way I try to find good in those moments is to treat them as a free opportunity such as an acting, dance or improvisation class. Free instruction! No charge, yet, an option to practice my craft in front of an audience and be seen by industry professionals despite the outcome. This is my way of looking for something good. The same thing can be accomplished in any situation that isn’t going well.

Other ideas to consider:
  • Ask yourself, "What good can come of this" instead of thinking how no good can come from it
  • Think more about the possible positive outcomes
  • Consider it a networking opportunity
  • Think of this moment as a stepping stone to a better one
  • Remember how this moment is only temporary
I'm sure there are a ton of ideas that many out there use on a daily basis to find good in the middle of chaos.

For this week’s exercise, take some time to re-envision any difficult moments you come across during the week. Brainstorm through ideas on how to improve a situation and make it better. Actually, imagine it happening. Think on how to make an experience feel better. I think this exercise initiates the possibilities, as well as the positive. If we try hard enough we can always find something good in every situation. We can then use that ‘good’ to help pull us through. We can always make the best of a bad situation when we locate that which captivates us and capitulates the positive vibes!


One of my favorite old times songs illustrating the idea of finding the good in ones situation is called Making the Best of a Bad Situation. Here’s a taste of that song to enjoy as you contemplate this week’s OPN exercise.


Go out there and find something positive!

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment