Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Yes, No…Maybe!

Yes, No…Maybe!
©Allen Merritt (2015)

Over the years I have had phone calls or face to face conversations where the person I am speaking with will answer/respond, “Yes?” and I follow up by interjecting my silly sense of humor with, “No! Well, maybe!” The usual response is, “Huh?”

I like playing with words and ideas.  I get a kick out of throwing the occasional curve ball just described. Interestingly, it provides an opportunity to stop and consider something. This week I have been pondering the word “No.”

Now, I have never written a blog before, but I have felt for a long time that many people are feeling lost, troubled, are hurting and can benefit from an occasional reminder on what matters most or how to take a moment to see things from a different point of view. Personally, I have had my fair share of ups and downs, but one thing I see in myself is ‘resilience’.  I enjoy turning things around for the better, especially when I put myself out there at the scrutiny of others. I believe there is a difference between constructive criticism and negativity. One is helpful. The other is not. With that in mind, I am still going to feel what I am going to feel before moving on. If I don’t acknowledge the negative feelings and situations, then they simply get swept under a rug.

It seems to me the word “No” can strike an emotional chord. “No” is a word many people consider negative. Who wants to hear or receive “No” as an answer to a question, request, promotion or proposition? Children know these feelings quite well since parents are usually quick to hand it out. Children also learn the word “No” pretty fast and how to use it in the age of the terrible two’s. They use it a lot thinking it will garner attention and get them what they want.

Contemplating the negative consequences of the word, I found myself considering how “No” might be considered a positive.  For example, it may serve to protect us in certain situations such as when you were denied the privilege of playing in the middle of a heavily trafficked street. “No” can be a good self-preservation tool to eliminate those troublesome situations in your life for which there isn’t enough time or energy for. Thinking about it in these ways actually does turn a few of those “No’s” into “Yes’s.” Nothing is set in stone!

Think about the following:  

1) I once heard someone say that if the universe has some great success in store for you, nothing is going to stop it from coming to fruition. (To me, this is like saying, “If God is for us, then who can be against us.”). I felt the comment had a positive outlook.  What it said to me is that there is room for possibilities and hope. It could be a “No.” It could be a “Yes.” It could be a “Maybe.” Sometimes life is hit or miss that way, but it leaves room for growth.

2) Consider “No” as a process of selection.  If there is only one position and only one winner, should that stop the runners up from continuing down the road to success? I don’t think so. Maybe the decision was truly about selecting and not rejecting.  

Of course, the answer isn’t always “Yes.” Sometimes it really is a flat out, “No” or “Maybe.” Since I am not the kind of person who views life as black and white, it only makes sense to take a good look at the situation and mull over its possibilities. After all, isn’t it true nothing is absolute?

Yes?
No!
Maybe.

Please share your ideas and comments by contributing to the comments below. Feel free to SHARE this page with others.

Cheers!


No comments:

Post a Comment